Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myRAteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Cecilia, KY

This is probably the weirdest if not stupidest question anyone has ever heard but it is something I have been wondering about for a long time. I have heard that water based exercise is good for RA but I cannot swim and I am short (4'11) when I have been in pools I usually always stayed in the 4' and under section (basically the kiddie area) so will my lack of ability to swim automatically cause e not to be able to take a water exercise class or something similar?

February 22, 2017
 · 
Be the first to react

Answer Summary

Members overwhelmingly reassured someone worried that being short and unable to swim would prevent them from doing water exercise for RA,... Read more

Members overwhelmingly reassured someone worried that being short and unable to swim would prevent them from doing water exercise for RA, sharing that swimming ability is not required and that many classes take place in shallow water with options like pool noodles, foam dumbbells, flotation vests, and exercises along the pool's edge. Several members described water aerobics and aqua Zumba as life-changing for their joint pain and mobility, with one member crediting it for keeping them out of a wheelchair and another noting improved range of motion beyond what's typical for their age. A recurring theme was the importance of starting slow, only doing what feels comfortable, and exploring free or low-cost programs through resources like Silver Sneakers at the YMCA or warm-water therapy pools at hospitals.

A myRAteam Member

I was a water aerobic instructor for many years. There is a lot you can do in the sallow water that will help you. and water noodles or water weights work great for the deep end and keeps you a float.wonderful exercise don't miss out go for it!

February 24, 2017
A myRAteam Member

I am short and cannot swim and have done water therapy. The water noodles let you move in deeper water and a lot happens in swallow water. Try it you will like it

March 9, 2017
A myRAteam Member

I have been taking water exercise classes for four years. It has been a miracle for me. I could hardly move st all, but now my range of motion is better than the average (non RA person) 63 year old. Start out slow, very slow, and just keep it up.

February 28, 2017
A myRAteam Member

Aqua us the kindest form of exercise for arthritis. You don't need to be able to swim and will never be asked to put your face in the water. Stick close to the side and remember the floor is right there if you happen to stumble. It's a great mood reliever as well and the people you exercise with probably also have pain or injury although not always. Great way to meet people and find a support base. I can't recommend aqua highly enough. I think it not only kept me sane but out of a wheel chair too

February 28, 2017
A myRAteam Member

A couple of years ago I was sent to therapy at a heated pool and it was wonderful! The place where I went has since closed and I haven't found another. I think that is the best I've felt since being diagnosed.

February 28, 2017

Related Questions

View All
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
The Woodlands, TX

A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Vernon, BC

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In