Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myRAteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
June 15, 2024
 · 
Reactions
myRAteam

Imuran (azathioprine) is commonly used to treat active rheumatoid arthritis. Here are some key points to consider:

- Dosage: Typically taken orally as a tablet once or twice daily
- Monitoring: Regular complete blood count (CBC) and liver function tests are recommended.
- Side Effects: Common side effects include nausea, Show Full Answer

Imuran (azathioprine) is commonly used to treat active rheumatoid arthritis. Here are some key points to consider:

- Dosage: Typically taken orally as a tablet once or twice daily.
- Monitoring: Regular complete blood count (CBC) and liver function tests are recommended.
- Side Effects: Common side effects include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, and muscle pain. Rare but serious side effects include certain cancers, low blood cell counts, and serious infections.
- Precautions: Use effective birth control to prevent pregnancy, as Imuran can lower the effectiveness of intrauterine devices (IUDs). It also raises the risk of skin cancer, so wear protective clothing and sunblock.

Always consult your doctor for personalized advice and monitoring.

June 15, 2024
A myRAteam Member

Oh wow. I am dreading being on any medications for RA. I have managed to stay off them. If it comes to that I will insist to on the Prism RA test. I just took the tests for autoimmune hepatitis and they were negative. According to my GI doctor I have Fatty Liver disease, what is next. I had been taking Turmeric for 6 months and loved it, hardly any pain but the GI doctor said to stop because it is bad for my liver, what medications aren’t bad for the liver. Take care my best to you.

June 15, 2024
A myRAteam Member

I took it for nearly a year for autoimmune hepatitis. It did improve my liver enzymes but I didn’t observe any improvement in the RA. Made me nauseous, so I had to divide the dose. Eventually was taken off it due to low blood cell counts. I now take mycophenalate instead. My hair went curly while taking it and has stayed that way.

June 15, 2024
A myRAteam Member

Hi Jeanie4! I took Imuran 100 twice a day for 6 months. I found taking it with food eased any nausea. My rheumatologist took me off of it due to low white blood cell count. It did help my joint pain, but it did make me tired. Good luck!

June 16, 2024
A myRAteam Member

Thank you as always good advice. Unfortunately I cannot take Prednisone as it causes my blood pressure to skyrocket. I started a log for my self with weight, some blood work results and a picture of my hairline to monitor any hair changes. All I can do is try and see what happens.

Take care and hope you have a wonderful day!

June 16, 2024

Related Questions

View All
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Greenville, MI

A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
The Woodlands, TX

A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Central FL

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In