Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myRAteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Toronto, ON

I just started taking Erelzi this year and it has reduced my inflammation in my left hand, but recently the pain has started increasing.
I am asking for feedback on whether or not I should consider changing my medication.
Thanking everyone in advance for their input.

November 13, 2019
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared their experiences with various biologic medications for RA, with many describing years of effective relief from medications... Read more

Members shared their experiences with various biologic medications for RA, with many describing years of effective relief from medications like Enbrel, Humira, Rituxan, and Remicade, though several noted that biologics can lose effectiveness over time or require switching to find the right fit. Several members offered reassuring advice to the original poster, emphasizing that what feels like medication failure might actually be a temporary flare, and suggesting they reflect on how much pain they had before starting treatment to gauge whether the medication is still working. A recurring theme was the trial-and-error nature of finding the right biologic, the emotional difficulty of balancing side effect concerns with pain relief, and the importance of staying hopeful and persistent through the process of finding what works best.

A myRAteam Member

I was Enbrel for about 7-8 years and it did me well for much of that time. A couple of years ago I decide it was time to start something else because it was becoming less and less effective and I started having reactions to the weekly injections. I'm recently started doing the Rituxan infusions and I'm very pleased with the results; however, I don't know how long I will be on it or if it will continue to be effective. You just have to try different treatments until you can find one that finally helps you.

November 14, 2019
A myRAteam Member

Been on several but currently for the last year on xeljanz xr. So far so good. Pain free no but it could and has been worst. It takes several times to find what works for you. Head up and keep going.

November 18, 2019
A myRAteam Member

I was on Enbrel for a couple of years. I had my first flare after being on it. I thought it had stopped working and asked my doctor. He switched me to Humira. While waiting for Enbrel to get out of my system and Humira to start working I was in so much pain. I remembered how much pain I was in before diagnosis. Enbrel was still working for me and it was only a flare up of the disease. My advice is to try to remember how you were before the biologic medication started working.

November 17, 2019
A myRAteam Member

I have been on Humira for 5 years. After taking it for three years ,I decided not to take it anymore, just to see if I could function ok without it. After a month, I was in so much pain, mainly, my hands and wrist...I had to go back on Humira again.....I am still taking it, but reluctantly, because of side effects....I don't know if I have a choice but I always worry about taking it and Wish I didn't have to. I sometimes feel that I am between a Rock and a hard place. Appreciate reading all your comments and so many of them I can relate to. Hugs to all.

November 18, 2019
A myRAteam Member

I've tried five or six biologics with no luck. I'm one of the few who either get worse or have to response at all to these meds. I'll be starting another one in January. Why January? Well, I need labs drawn three months after starting this med and I'll be in AZ for four months and my insurance will not cover labs there. So, I'll start in Jan. and will be back home where everything will be covered by my insurance.

Many others have had great success with biologics. I envy those people.

November 16, 2019

Related Questions

View All
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Desmoines ia

A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Cleveland, OH

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In