Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myRAteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

Wondering. My mother was diagnosed so early in her adult life. I have made it to 40s. Wondering if anyone else is getting a bit of a glimpse at the future by looking at a relative who has traveled this path.

October 3, 2018
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared meaningful reflections on family connections to rheumatoid arthritis and related autoimmune conditions, with many being the... Read more

Members shared meaningful reflections on family connections to rheumatoid arthritis and related autoimmune conditions, with many being the first in their families diagnosed while others found both inspiration and heartbreak in watching parents or relatives navigate similar journeys. Several members described the emotional weight of seeing loved ones suffer from conditions like antiphospholipid syndrome, psoriatic arthritis, and MS, while one member found deep encouragement in their grandmother's determined attitude and refusal to let RA control her life. A recurring theme was the power of humor, hope, and mutual support in facing uncertain futures, along with heartfelt prayers and wishes that the next generation might be spared from these painful conditions.

A myRAteam Member

My grandmother was diagnosed with RA when my mother was a teenager. I watched my grandmother struggle with her symptoms but she never gave up. She ran an apartment complex and then a boarding house for veterans until she was in her early 70’s. Quite an inspiration to her grandchildren. She was very conscious of her health and insisted on eating healthy and kept moving. She had a very determined and positive attitude that RA wouldn’t control her. She worked through the pain and made the veterans her priority. I think that saved her and gave her a purpose. She is my hero now as I struggle to remain positive and determined. I just know she was given a lemon in life but made lemonade. I just hope I’ll have her attitude and do the same. She showed me that I can’t let RA stop me. She showed me that my future may be difficult but that it can’t take over my life and you have to enjoy those little things in life that money could never buy. I hope this helps. A RA diagnosis is scary but my grandmother has given me hope I can handle whatever comes in the future. Hugs 🤗

October 3, 2018
A myRAteam Member

@A myRAteam Member
Wow, Isn't that crazy. There were 5 of us kids too, My brother Joe who had down syndrome and was blind passed about in october of 2009 and my Brother Chris was only 2 years old than me passed away in April of 2014 (we were only 2 years apart (miss he so much) Then there is my Cousin/Sister, My mom Raised her from 4 (I had know clue she wasn't my sister. Until after our parents died) then she found her "real" brother and sister, she is 13 years older than me. My oldest sister is in her own world. I love her but she could care less. She is so different than me, thank goodness. I just try to let it go. I tried for years to keep in touch with her, but you get tired of always being the one to help and call. The weird thing is I am the youngest but have been the mother. Weird? But it is what it is. So Greg and I just Limp and gimp together. LOL Gotta keep a sense of humor. Hugs.

October 4, 2018
A myRAteam Member

CincyChrissie. Gets us through the tough days!

October 4, 2018
A myRAteam Member

Yes, we sure do have to have a good sense of humor. Or I might mean wacky. 🤗

October 4, 2018
A myRAteam Member

both my cousins had/had RA. one cousin died of complications, she was 76 the other cousin doesn't take meds so her RA isn't very bad at all. MY Dad had OA Bothe knees replaced, Mom and sis have/had heart disease. All these problems are due to inflammation. It's in my family.

October 21, 2018

Related Questions

View All
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Portland, OR

A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Victoria, TX

A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Pittsburgh, PA

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In