Hi, I'm just wondering especially from those that have had RA for years now, realistically, does it always progress? For instance, for those that have mild symptoms, have you stayed mild long term? I know everyone is different, but for the majority would you say it will eventually cause a significant impact on your daily life and abilities? I guess I'm just trying to get a realistic picture of what may lay ahead, not so much what's written by dr's and experts but by people that are actually… read more
Mine has not progressed since I was diagnosed 13 years ago. As long as you're being treated for the disease, it should stay the same.
I was diagnosed 15 years ago an dthe progression has been very slow ... a good doctor is key.
Mine started progressing after being diagnosed in November 2019. Very bad joint swelling in the fingers and my left thumb is numb. My doc is changing my meds and sending me for radiological studies. Getting frightened, frustrated, angry all at the same time. I'm sure it's par, just didn't expect it to progress then get the added diagnoses of fibro and spinal stenosis! Stop already, I've still got work to do!
I was told by my RA doctor that the aim was to stop the progression but that nothing could be done for the joints that have already been damaged. That's why it is so important to find the right mixture of drugs to put you into remission before the damage is too severe.
I have had RA for 30 years and I truly hate to tell you that the disfigurement has progressed significantly. my hands are really bad. my right hand is almost closed, and I am right handed. my left hand is going sideways. I have had the same job for 30 years but thank God my employer is very understanding. I am an Executive Secretary and used to type 100 wpm. now, use two fingers. Thankfully, I will be retiring in a couple of years.