Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myRAteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myRAteam Member asked a question πŸ’­
Maryland, MD

Has anyone tried an Epsom Salt bath to relieve joint pain and stiffness? Some sites say it works some for RA, some say it's just the hot bath.

August 31, 2017
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared mixed experiences with Epsom salt baths for joint pain and stiffness, with many finding they help somewhat with aching and... Read more

Members shared mixed experiences with Epsom salt baths for joint pain and stiffness, with many finding they help somewhat with aching and promote better sleep, though several noted the challenge of getting in and out of the tub safely with limited mobility. Several members suggested alternatives like magnesium salts for better results, sensory deprivation float tanks filled with high-concentration saltwater for deeper muscle relief, and adding lavender or apple cider vinegar to enhance relaxation. A recurring theme was the trade-off between potential short-term relief and the physical difficulty of bathing, with members bonding over humorous and relatable stories of struggling to exit the tub and encouraging each other to try what works best for their individual situations.

A myRAteam Member

You will love the float tank, the second time is better since you will know what to expect, just try to relax and i kept a small towel by my head so if salt gets in eyes you can wipe it out.

September 6, 2017
A myRAteam Member

I take epson salt baths with lavender. It helps me sleep.

September 4, 2017
A myRAteam Member

@A myRAteam Member
OMG! Julie, I have been a shower person my whole life except when I was a kid. I got in the tub with the Epsom Salt and I didn't think I was going to be able to get out. I thought I was going to have to call my husband to get me out of the tub. I finally managed to get out. Between my Hands, Wrists,arms and shoulders , I honestly couldn't believe I could barely get out of the tub. I guess I look the same way getting out of my car. LOL!

September 5, 2017
A myRAteam Member

I found magnesium salts work better, but more pricey. (amazon) And I did try the float tanks. It was awesome, they fill a large tub like tank with body temp water and like 90% salt and you literally float on top of water for an hour. they are supposed to close lid to keep you warm and turn light off for best experience so if your claustrophobic then might get chilly without lid closed. But it was an awesome experience and felt great after and for a few days even. Great for muscle pain or just relaxation. It is pricey, but have packages available. Worth a try, here in Las Vegas (henderson) its called "go float yourself".

September 1, 2017
A myRAteam Member

Loose weight @A myRAteam Member I would love a swimming pool full of it and I will swim daily 😊 Hugs πŸ€—

August 31, 2017

Related Questions

View All
A myRAteam Member asked a question πŸ’­