I would like to know if anyone has improved by changing their diet. I have been reading Dr McDougall's diet and people claim that they are now in remission when changing the food they eat.
Answer Summary
Members shared varied experiences with diet changes for rheumatoid arthritis, with many reporting significant improvements including reduced... Read more
Hi. Ive been following an improved diet after developing my latest flare. Ive had several flare ups over a twenty year period and can usually get things back into remission where I am off all medication. This flare started sbout 4 months ago and I decided to really dig in with sorting out my diet. I removed processed foods, and massively increased the amounts of vegetables (especially raw) that I eat each day. I try to eat as varied a diet as possible but importantly food should be of really good quality. I personally disagree with a vegetarian diet although I don't eat loads of meat. I also include plenty of dairy including raw milk, good quality cheese, etc. Ive cut down on the sugary foods but I haven't cut anything out completely. I have tried to cut the bread down aswell and trying to use more peas/beans. Basically the idea is to get as wide a variety as possible in your diet so that your body has access to the nutrients it needs to rebalance. I also take vitamin supplements, turmeric, fish oils and a probiotic. I think diet is just one aspect of your treatment though, aswell as medication, exercise, rest, etc. Hope this helps?
I have struggled for 12 years. I went to a biomedical clinic where they gave me a very specific diet to follow. I ate healthy before but they were the wrong foods!! Get this!! I am not allowed to have spinach, bananas, and other healthy foods due to their vitamin content! I feel so much better. I have cheated twice and could totally tell a difference. They give you specific smoothies to drink, food choices to make, and things I have to eat on a daily basis which is a lot more food than I am used to but I look and feel better. Lots of probiotics and kefir too. Good bacteria is super important. I read a recent journal on rheumatoid and a specific bad bacteria found in intestines. The biomedical clinic really pushes the probiotics but from food sources.
My son's girlfriend is a registered holistic nutritionist and she put me on to a great diet. It included lots of green vegetables, lentils, beans, fish, chicken, and minimal red meat. She said to stay away from nightshades (potatoes, eggplant, tomatoes, peppers...which cause inflammation). I was to switch from regular cooking oils to coconut and olive oil. Stay away from caffeine products. and sugars. Honey is the recommended sweetener. She recommended drinking several cups of water in the morning (the first glass of water should have lemon juice in it...stimulates the lymph glands). The use of ginger, garlic, and turmeric spices also recommended. Limited salt. You still need iodized salt for your thyroid so table salt is okay, however Himalayan is very good. Processed foods are a no no because of the high salt content. Yay, dark chocolate is also recommended. With all this she did say to treat yourself! If you want to go out to dinner by all means eat anything you like! Don't make life onerous because of food. I have recently gone off the wagon so to speak and need to get back on track. I will say that while I was following this I over 20 pound. I had a ton of energy and I slept better. Gentle hugs and blessings to you all.
Oh I forgot to add that green tea is in this diet and also Kombucha (fermented tea). It is excellent for your digestive system. Eating fermented foods is also recommended and are very easy to make at home.
Hi Lyn,
I was a vegetarian before my RA started. Despite being strong sero-positive I have not developed serious joint damage, I believe this has a lot to do with diet.
I developed Sjogrens too and that prompted me to make further changes after a lot of research, I stopped eating grains and dairy. I believe it helps, and notice effects if and when I stray.
It's worth doing the research and trying it.