Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myRAteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
February 5, 2016
 · 
Be the first to react
A myRAteam Member

I've gone both ways- skinny on and skinny off-heavy on and heavy off, but mostly heavy and puffy,-ON steroids

February 6, 2016
A myRAteam Member

Well, I've been on 60-80mg prednisone for over 10 years. I was lucky (sarcasm) and also developed Cushing's Syndrome, from the steroids. I gained almost 200 pounds, in that 10 years.

I've been trying to taper the dosage, since I began. However, only recently have I been successful. Tapering after a long period is very dangerous, so be careful. I went into organ failure twice, from it.

Dieting doesn't work, while you're on steroids. You have to be below 6mg for about a year, before you'll notice your body changing. Until you're completely off of prednisone, you will always have weight issues.

I cannot exercise, due to severe RA. I only eat healthy meals...no sugary or salty stuff. But, I still gain weight.

Recently, I've been able to lower to 5mg. It's been a long, hard road. I've recently lost 30 pounds just from lowering prednisone. My diet never changed. I have to eat bread, because of the prednisone.

So, yes...you will lose weight, once you stop prednisone. Will your diet have to change? That depends on how active you are. If you're not burning it, you're storing it.

February 5, 2016
A myRAteam Member

I think dosage matters. I think previous level of fitness matters. I believe big doses like @A myRAteam Member make it nearly impossible to not gain weight. 60-80mg constantly is a high maintenance dose. I think, however, that nearly everyone has to exercise with RA. I train people who use a walker or a cane. Even when bed ridden it is important. Lift a leg. Repeat it. Do the other leg. Lift leg, moving it to the right, an inch, or a foot. Go back. Repeat. Do the other leg. Tomorrow try 3. One older client has cancer (multiple myeloma). We do 100 'moves'. 10 exercises. 5x each, left, right, while she is sitting up, slightly, in bed. Next time (3x a week), 100 moves, sitting on the couch. It's a major workout for her. But she wants to stay strong enough to use a cane or walker. Even if it's just to walk more safely to the bathroom. It 10 feet to the couch. The move it, or lose it, is true! Even if you just flex your foot, tighten a muscle, do tai chi, do something. If you want washing your hair to count...it does!!

February 8, 2016
A myRAteam Member

Judy I am with you. Steroids for 5 years and changed rheumatologist who finally got me off it with a better medication regimen. I take a medrol dose pack as needed which is not often with this regimen.

December 30, 2023
A myRAteam Member

I've been on Prednisone 10 mg daily since June 2015 and haven't gained any weight.

February 8, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Overland Park, KS

A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Central FL

A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Clinton township NJ

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In