Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myRAteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Chicago, IL

What kind of exercise is recommended? I keep telling people who keep telling me to exercise that it is not that easy. For since before I was even diagnosed has always made me so tired after and I usually pay the price for it for the next day or a day or two later it hits. I'm just tired of people not listening and thinking I am making it up and just using my diagnosis as an excuse to be "lazy".

January 26, 2016 (edited)
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members rallied around someone frustrated by others dismissing their post-exercise exhaustion as laziness, with the overwhelming consensus... Read more

Members rallied around someone frustrated by others dismissing their post-exercise exhaustion as laziness, with the overwhelming consensus being that water-based activities like swimming, water aerobics, and warm therapy pools are ideal because they minimize joint stress while providing effective movement. Several members emphasized starting slowly and listening to your body, sharing practical approaches including yoga, Tai Chi, walking, recumbent bikes, gentle weight training, and always resting between workout days to avoid flare-ups. A recurring theme was the importance of self-advocacy and refusing to feel guilty about limitations, with many acknowledging that while exercise helps long-term, the fatigue and pain are real, not excuses, and only someone living with RA truly understands the daily challenge of balancing movement with managing an unpredictable disease.

A myRAteam Member

Is there a hot tub and or sauna where you do aqua arobics, when I was first started I would get in the hottub before I started a session and than go in the sauna and relax before i got dressed . at first it was hard for me to keep up but each session became easier. warming up first helped alot .Also you can't let other people get to you First you have to except you have the disease. NO one understands what we go thru unless they have it. even with all the commercials and information out there its impossible to know the pain and stiffness we endure.And worrying about what others think just ads extra stress which contributes to more pain and stiffness

February 1, 2016
A myRAteam Member

I know. It's tough... RA is horrible. Sometimes it makes it impossible to exercise. Of course exercising is good for you, but if your body says No then you should not force yourself.
That's why exercise shows and videos have disclaimers- check with your doctor before starting exercise...
One thing about having arthritis: everyone wants to give advice and they think they have the answers. But life is complicated. I've gotten lots of good advice that I can't follow! I've also given lots of advice and yet: I can't follow my own advice either!!! LOL!
It's up to each of us to manage this terrible disease as best we can. Don't feel guilty about what what you can't do. Just do what is right for you.
Sometimes I get tired of explaining myself to people. Then I realize- I don't have to! It's a liberating thought!
❤️
Good luck everyone! Fight the good fight!

March 15, 2016
A myRAteam Member

I am still not strong enough to do much exercise. I do go to water PT and it feels so good. The PT strongly suggest for anyone with RA to do water aerobics / water exercise for arthritis. There is no impact and the warm water feels great. Best of luck

January 31, 2016 (edited)
A myRAteam Member

I do yoga, elliptical, and weight machine (on the lightest setting). I would suggest starting out slow. Try walking every day for a few minutes and build up slowly. Add a new exercise to your routine gradually (when you feel up to it). Just try for a few minutes every day and don't overdo it. Listen to your body and be patient. It's not a competition so don't feel like you have to push yourself. Even 5 minutes is helpful.

January 26, 2016 (edited)
A myRAteam Member

Need to see a physical therapist to help with plan so that you don't overdo it so you will benefit.

January 31, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
New York, NY

A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Antrim, NH

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In