I had similar issues a year ago and several trips to ER. EKG and even heart imaging all came back clear and heart doc who did the imaging released me. I still have times with pains. They also looked at my upper esophageal area. Conclusion was that upper GI issues, IBS , and RA inflammatory issues were the issues. Still scary though.
It's reassuring that the echocardiogram came back fine! Upper left chest pain can absolutely be connected to RA, even when the heart checks out okay.
One common culprit is costochondritis — inflammation where the ribs meet the cartilage at the sternum or back. People with RA are particularly prone to this type of Show Full Answer
Thanks Carol 2015, I think mine is not costocroditis so much as nerve compression from scoliosis and RA damage to the vertebrae. But I would love an answer. 3 trips to the ER for left side chest pain. Oh my isn’t this puzzle called RA fun? Take care, sending you hugs
I have had the costochondritis! It's painful. It's scary because how will we ever know if it's a real heart attack. I actually found out about the costochondritis it the ER when my blood pressure was so high.