Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myRAteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Peoria, IL
March 21, 2023
 · 
Be the first to react
A myRAteam Member

My husband (non-RA) has newly discovered doing a few minutes of cold after a hot shower. He says it takes away all his aches & pains. I wouldn't do it, because cold anything makes we hurt worse, but I have definitely seen an improvement in him after beginning to do it. He found several videos on Youtube about the subject.

March 21, 2023
A myRAteam Member

I don't plunge my whole body but I do soak my hands and feet in ice water, usually only 1-3 mins when needed, maybe 1x per week. It does help alleviate my pain quickly. I am working on building up enough courage to do a whole-body plunge. I think that it would do wonders for my back and hip pain. I will say that it is very different than dealing with cold weather. I'm not sure how to describe it but I find that when the cold weather is here my joints are definitely stiffer and more painful but when I use the sauna for 30 mins and then soak my hands and feet for just a few mins and it's amazing.

March 24, 2023
A myRAteam Member

The videos he watched said to start slow and build up. I believe he started with 10 seconds, he is now up to 1.5 minutes a day. The video (by a doctor) also said not to go over 11 minutes a week.

March 22, 2023
A myRAteam Member

This has been suggested for me but I am finding it really difficult to turn off the hot water! Maybe I should try again 🤔

March 21, 2023
A myRAteam Member

If I lived in a house I would have a sauna and an ice plunge. My acupuncturist has a teeny piece of property and he just got an ice plunge for $150. I use to do sweat lodges and/or saunas and jump into cold streams. I went wo hot water for about 6 months. I did a cold shower and washed my hair every day. I felt so much better, mentally and physically. I am trying to build up by slowly ending shower with turning hot water off little by little. It does help. Try it. Tony Robbins does an ice plunge every morning.

June 3, 2023

Related Questions

View All
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Maryland, MD

A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Peoria, IL

A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Lawrenceburg, IN