Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myRAteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭

Hi there! Over the past couple weeks I’ve had thumb twitching In the fleshy part of my thumb, near wrist. It twitches almost constantly, but is mostly painless. I do have carpal tunnel and severe and active RA. This twitching, however, is causing me anxiety...has anyone else had this? I’d feel better if I wasn’t alone, I think.

I am on Plaquenil for about 3 months, wonder if this could be the reason too.

November 2, 2021
 · 
Reactions
A myRAteam Member

Hi there,
I started Plaquenil about six weeks ago, and have noticed both my lips and my right eye twitching. Like yours, it's not painful but it's definitely distracting. The lip twitching calmed down a lot after about 4 weeks. It still occurs, but not as strongly. I haven't been back to the doc, so I can't say for sure that it's related to the Plaquenil. But I suspect that it is.
Good luck!

November 6, 2021
A myRAteam Member

Hi Elizabeth! I'm new to this forum. Was on Plaquenil for over 25 years. It did help with inflammation. Doc took me off a year ago since I have irregular heartbeat. Pretty sure this med doesn't cause tremors. The carpal tunnel along with the arthritis could cause that soft tissue tremors. When my hands are inflamed, I get a tremor in my hand but it's not constant. It's off & on. Definitely tell your Doc about it at your next visit so the Doc can check & ease your worries.
Hope you feel better each day.

November 2, 2021
Want to learn more about our community? Check out our Getting Started Guide! Read more >
A myRAteam Member

I've been on Plaquenil for over 20 yrs.Never heard this before.
Check with Dr. Could be nerves that are compressed from Carpal Tunnel.
Or you might need to have a thumb brace..
If it continues see the Dr.

November 2, 2021

Related Questions

View All
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Brewster, MA

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In