Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myRAteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

I am 35 years old. About every 2-3 months, I experience debilitating back pain for 2-4 days. It feels like someone is stabbing me in the middle of the spine. It is so severe that I can't sit or work. My rheumatologist suggested I get an x-ray but I'm wondering if this would even show up and if I should just get an MRI. (My RA damage in my hands only showed up on an MRI--an ultrasound and x-rays were a waste of time and money). When the back pain goes away after a few hellish days, everything is… read more

June 16, 2021 (edited)
 · 
Reactions
A myRAteam Member

have you seen or talked with a chiropractor, spinal specialist, or kinesiologist? They are much more specialized in the working of the spine. I have SI Dysfunction (which does not describe your symptoms) and also had 2 herniated discs (which does describe your symptoms in the beginning), and other spinal issues...so I've worked with spinal dr's a lot. What you describe does sound like it could be a disc possibly going bad. Especially having RA, your discs have an increased risk to herniate. Since it resolves in a few days, it likely has not herniated yet, probably just swelled due to inflammation. I would recommend the X-ray as your rheumatologist suggests. An Xray can not show the disc itself, but it can show if the spacing is off or if your losing space which will indicate if a disc is in trouble. They can go from there to see if it needs treatment or not.

June 16, 2021

Related Questions

View All
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Ferguson, MO

A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Gray, GA

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In