Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myRAteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

I have had RA for 35 years. I am on Enbrel, methotrexate and occasionally prednisone.

I feel my pain medication that I have been on for many years allows me to get out of bed in the morning and perform minimally just as others live their lives.

That is, until fatigue takes over around noon.

I credit pain medication with allowing me the occasional semblance of living an ordinary life.

June 23, 2019
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared their experiences with pain management for severe rheumatoid arthritis, with many expressing frustration at doctors dismissing... Read more

Members shared their experiences with pain management for severe rheumatoid arthritis, with many expressing frustration at doctors dismissing their pain levels or denying access to pain specialists despite debilitating symptoms that limit daily functioning. Several members described what has worked for them, including hydrocodone (though results varied), steroid injections directly into painful joints, short courses of prednisone during major flares, and some experimentation with CBD/THC products, anti-inflammatory foods, and naproxen, though many noted these alternatives provided limited or no relief compared to prescription pain medication. A recurring theme was the emotional toll of feeling unheard by medical providers, the difficulty of finding doctors who acknowledge chronic pain as real and valid, and the shared determination to keep advocating for treatments that allow them to perform basic daily tasks and maintain some quality of life despite the relentless nature of RA.

A myRAteam Member

I have tried using hydrocodone. I only have 5 mg as anything else makes me sick. It didn’t touch my pain. I also have tried a combo of 2:1 CBD/THC in liquid, vape and salve form. None of this helped my pain. The only thing that helped was a steroid injection in the joint. My Ortho was just giving shot after shot ( since 2/19 of this year) until I said hey! Somethings wrong, how about you do some blood work!

June 28, 2019
A myRAteam Member

Sandy
Thank you for sharing your experience with hydrocone.
Mine differs in that it does provide relief from pain. Perhaps
it is the relief that provides me the energy to do the daily, ordinary
tasks one must do.

June 29, 2019
A myRAteam Member

Yes Ruru my days are like yours we take our meds as prescribed get our day planned get to working then a couple of hours later hurting give out and say to self I'll throw in the towel for now ; and back tomorrow if if able.We can't JUST quit doing and moving as much as our mind and body is able.Thanks everyone!

June 28, 2019
A myRAteam Member

Mary,
Yes, my RA doctors prescribe my pain medication. Perhaps once a year in the past 10 years,when I have a huge flare up, and can literally not move, the
RA puts me on Prednisone for a week which quickly works a miracle.
I credit my pain medication along with Enbrel for only having a few
HUGE flare ups annually.

July 10, 2019
A myRAteam Member

Are your RA doctors prescribing your pain meds? I asked mine on one of my visits, my pain and swelling was terrible and she put me on more prednisone!

July 10, 2019

Related Questions

View All
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
TEXAS, TX

A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Ohio City, CO

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In