Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myRAteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Melbourne, AU

My Rheumy told me that drinking ANY amount of alcohol with methotrexate is a big no-no. But when I looked online I found conflicting articles. If you're on methotrexate do you drink? Does your Rheumy tell you not to? I'm trying to work out if I can safely have a couple of glasses of red wine on Christmas day! :-D

December 11, 2018
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared varied approaches to drinking alcohol while taking methotrexate, with the most common practice being to avoid alcohol 24 hours... Read more

Members shared varied approaches to drinking alcohol while taking methotrexate, with the most common practice being to avoid alcohol 24 hours before and after methotrexate doses, and to limit intake to one or two drinks on special occasions rather than drinking regularly. Several members emphasized the importance of monitoring liver function through regular blood tests, noting that both methotrexate and alcohol strain the liver, and some shared that they stopped drinking entirely to avoid risking liver damage that could force them to discontinue their RA medication. A recurring theme was that while moderate drinking may be tolerated by some, binge drinking can cause severe flu-like symptoms and prolonged recovery, and members encouraged listening to your body, staying hydrated, and prioritizing liver health over occasional drinks.

A myRAteam Member

I do not see any comments as to the medical risk and based on my research this is my understanding: I stopped my daily beer drinking because of this.
Methotrexate and alcohol even on their own put a strain on the liver during waste processing. That is why when we take Methtrexate, we have to have regular blood test to check the level of white blood cells. The lack of these can be an indication of liver damage and the doctor may discontinue methotrexate because of this.
I did not want to risk having to stop my medicine for my RA pain relief by deciding to continue my alcohol desire. I do miss my beer drinking a lot since I drank every day for 44 years. Positive effect is that I now have a flat belly!

December 12, 2018
A myRAteam Member

While on Metho i was ok with one or two drinks per month. Having a blood test every 6 weeks showed liver was doing ok until it wasn't. Had to get off Metho and went on Enbrel which was much better except for the cost. If you get in touch with the makers of Enbrel they will send you a card to pay for the drug

December 14, 2018
A myRAteam Member

Ok, so since starting methotrexate, I’ve had two times where I inadvertently drank alcohol (not much at all) near when I had taken MTX. Day before yesterday was one of them. I live in Houston and we like to go to the Mexican restaurants nearby. I asked for a virgin daiquiris. But the language barrier got in the way of the final product. The daiquiri was good and sweet so I didn’t think there was alcohol in it but hours later I was proven wrong. I felt off and constipated for two days. I know that the warning is to keep our livers from being overworked but turns out, it also keeps you feeling better. Just wanted to share that.

December 20, 2018
A myRAteam Member

@A myRAteam Member, so in other words, be careful if we want to drink.

December 14, 2018
A myRAteam Member

A couple of glasses of wine should be ok. If Christmas Day falls on metho day, just delay your metho until after Christmas. I have done this on a few occasions with no Ill affects.

A word of caution though, do not be tempted to binge or you will dearly wish you hadn’t.

I once drank a full bottle of red while on holiday and I was so ill, it took more than a week to recover.

It feels like the worst hangover ever, combined with a very bad dose of flu. Everything aches and you feel sick and dizzy.

Truely learned my lesson there but still have the odd glass on non metho day.

Happy Christmas and cheers

December 11, 2018

Related Questions

View All

I

A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
London, ON

A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Fort Dodge, IA

A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Coon Valley, WI

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In