Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myRAteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Saegertown, PA

Anyone lose their hair with methotrexate? My dr said it was a possible side effect but that a prescription strength folic acid daily would combat the side effects. I felt much better for 2 months. Now in my 3rd month of treatment I am losing a lot of hair. I did not mention it at my hair appt yesterday but my hair dresser commented with alarm. I took a picture and plan to call my dr tomorrow. It is not patchy but I di notice that my ponytail is much thinner. Sigh. This is not something I can… read more

June 24, 2018
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members widely shared their experiences with methotrexate-related hair loss, with many reporting thinning hair that was noticeable to them or... Read more

Members widely shared their experiences with methotrexate-related hair loss, with many reporting thinning hair that was noticeable to them or their hairdressers, though most did not lose all their hair. Several members recommended practical solutions including taking higher doses of folic acid (1000mg daily), biotin supplements (ranging from 5,000 to 10,000mg), Nioxin shampoo, and cutting hair shorter to make thinning less noticeable, with some noting that biotin also helped strengthen nails. A recurring theme was the emotional struggle of weighing hair loss against pain relief, with members expressing both frustration at losing yet another thing to the disease and determination to find solutions that would allow them to continue beneficial treatment.

A myRAteam Member

Don’t worry as we age it thins out and changes all kinds of colors. Laugh out loud. I don’t think bald is all that bad. I’ve seen some women who look really good with the super dooper shaved look. 😀

June 27, 2018
A myRAteam Member

I started to get thinning hair so had my hair cut really short.

June 25, 2018
A myRAteam Member

I've been taking MTX for 16 years and was started on the folic acid with it from day one. I lose some hair but it's never been an issue. I hope the folic acid helps you!

June 26, 2018
A myRAteam Member

I was practically bald on that stuff. And a woman in the infusion dept with me one day said she’s worn wigs since going on it: I promptly went off it. Seems so vain, but ... it’s takong enough from me - let me keep my hair! 👸🏼

June 26, 2018
A myRAteam Member

@A myRAteam Member I did have a lot of hair loss when I first started taking Methotrexate. But it was thinned out. I didn't lose all my hair. I didn't have much hair to begin with however, so I now wear a wig and love it !! I quit taking it after taking it for years, and new hair growth was immediate! Then my doctor out me on a much lower does, and so far I've had no hair loss this time.

June 25, 2018

Related Questions

View All
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Richland, NY

A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Central FL

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In