Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myRAteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

I have JRA technically even though I am 30. One of my first symptoms unknowingly, was growing pains in my legs, then months later was my onset and diagnosis of JRA

April 17, 2018
 · 
Be the first to react
A myRAteam Member

As a Child I would cry from intense leg pain and the doctors told my parents it was just growing pains but now I know different with having RA

April 17, 2018
A myRAteam Member

Growing pains is an old term for "we don't know why" . I heard that stuff too when I was younger. I am 6-4 and doctors told my parents that because I was growing so fast my tendons were streched. I believe that my tendons were shrinking as part of RA. I also think that anxiety produces excess energy which causes muscles to contract. In any case, I hope you get some relief.

April 18, 2018
A myRAteam Member

The doctors told my mom it was growing pains. Months later i developed a sore wrist with no injury to it. Was told tendonitis. Two weeks went by splinted and still had swelling... wasn’t until another week later when the swelling and pain moved to the opposite wrist as well. My pedi at that point knew it was auto-immune related. Tested me for everything under the sun. I came up Seropositive and was sent to children’s hospital for confirmation. They leg pains disappeared for YEARS but recently have returned. Doctors have always noticed that i do have “runners knee” which all that is is when your quads (theighs) are weaker than your calf muscle so it strains the knee and makes it swell when you apply force. You would use an ellicptical machine versis a treadmill. Treamill you “pound” the ground where as an elliptical machine you dont pick
Your feet up

April 17, 2018
A myRAteam Member

I have pain in my legs and just thought it was from taking vitamin d ...hmmm maybe not.

April 17, 2018
A myRAteam Member

Recently I started thinking about some pains i had for years when I was a young adolescent. They also told me it's growing, and never gave another thought to it. During this first hard winter diagnosed with ra, I remembered those pains in the upper part or the legs. Then I remembered, I once woke up and my left foot would be swollen, and couldn't step, went to the hopsital and they just looked at me confused, they didn't see anything broken, I assured them I didn't hit it somewhere... Still, sent home with no answer. The same with the right hand some year after. Fluid in the knees, in the rists... Really! They told me i m flexible and that's why this is happening... And now, I m really thinking... Maybe all this time...

April 20, 2018

Related Questions

View All
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Danville, VA

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In