Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myRAteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
July 2, 2017
 · 
Be the first to react
A myRAteam Member

@A myRAteam Member - I have normal-looking joints most of the time, but they still HURT daily. Occasionally there will be some swelling. Rheumatoid nodules are not painful, but I find them annoying. Sometimes some Medrol injected into them makes them go down/away. When my hand joints are most painful, my rheumdoc will inject them with Medrol and in several days to a couple of weeks, the pain is gone and most of the flexibility is restored. Can't do that too frequently - it will erode my joints over time.

July 4, 2017
A myRAteam Member

Are the knots on your joints? If they are they are called rheumatoid nodules

July 2, 2017
A myRAteam Member

Medrol is one of the different formulations of cortisone. It is less toxic than cortisone. It is available in injectable (depo-medrol) and oral formulations. A "Dose-Pak" gives you a high oral dose on day 1 and you taper off over 6 days. The "boost" is often enough to stop a flare at the beginning, or to reduce the intensity of the flare if it has taken hold. It also gives a "boost" to energy for a few days.
I'm on a dose-pak now because we will have our 40th Anniversary Party this weekend. I'm sort of stressed, and I was starting to feel "pre-flare." So I started the Dose-Pak. I'm feeling better, and I think I'll have adequate energy this weekend. But I react a little strangely to Medrol, so I don't like to take it too often.
Most rheumdocs suggest using only every 6 weeks at most, and mine says that for me.

July 6, 2017
A myRAteam Member

What is Medrol?

July 5, 2017

Related Questions

View All
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Ferguson, MO

A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Mount Prospect, IL

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In