Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myRAteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Mount Prospect, IL

I had one in my right calf just under the knee it is as big as a grape, almost a year. I was told it is believed to be a cyst is changes in size and extremely painful to touch or walk. I have been in Physical therapy and the therapist worked out a lump in my left shoulder so I showed her my leg, she worked on it for 3 days now instead of one I have 2 and possibly a third starting. I don't know if it is time to see a surgeon or pray it goes away. I have to work it is not an option, but cant walk… read more

May 19, 2017
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members connected over the distressing experience of developing painful lumps in their muscles, particularly in the calves, with many... Read more

Members connected over the distressing experience of developing painful lumps in their muscles, particularly in the calves, with many initially uncertain whether these were cysts, muscle knots, trigger points, or something more serious. Several members shared that their doctors and physical therapists identified the lumps as trigger point muscle knots that can multiply when manipulated, often appearing during flare-ups and sometimes persisting long-term, causing severe pain, cramping, and difficulty walking or bearing weight. A recurring theme was the profound relief members felt in discovering they were not alone or imagining their symptoms, with many expressing gratitude for the validation and support this community provides in navigating the confusing and isolating nature of autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis and psoriatic arthritis.

A myRAteam Member

Yes Brenda you have it, the pain never goes away. I can't bare weight on my right leg My knee is bad but these lumps are like my calf is Charlie horsing all the time, since I noticed it I do wake up with Charlie horses in the right leg, from a dead sleep to screaming and my leg is up in the air. My husband now knows to pull my toes forward to relieve the muscle. I was on Methaltrexate for a very short period when I was first diagnosed over 6 years ago, but lumps just developed summer of 2016 when I noticed my feet and hands hurt so bad I could not walk or use my hands they swell so bad, that's when they started looking at Rheumatoid Factors. I have suffered with PSA for over 10 years undiagnosed for years is now systemic (in eyes and watch heart), as I have a high tolerance to pain, but when I could not get out my car but walked and pain went away I started seeing a slew of doctors. I spiraled down from there until Enbrel for a couple years I was rockin had my energy back worked out at 4 am, worked stressful position 60 plus hours a week no sweat. but that changed. Now one day at a time. I'm grateful my kids are grown I can barely take care of our dog. Work is getting too hard but too young to quit yet. So I keep hope a live. Thank you so very much for listening to me, I really thought I was going crazy, doctor saying it is a cyst therapist says it is a knot in the muscle pain doc says knot in muscle, but it never goes away now I have 2. No more massages on them. LOL Oh I can't tell you how much better I feel.

May 22, 2017
A myRAteam Member

YES!! I thought it was just me! Mine started shortly after I began Methytrexate and it feels like I have a cramp in my left calf. Was starting o wonder if I have a blood clot!

May 22, 2017
A myRAteam Member

It's kind of hard to depend on time between flares when you fel like you are in a flare most of the time.

May 21, 2017
A myRAteam Member

I have nodules on my elbows and one leg but if I had knots I'd see my doctor. There is many things that it could be. My mother had melanoma which started on the back of her leg. I don't want to scare you but I believe you should seek medical attention. I've had RA for a long time and I've never had knots. I also have Psoriatic Arthritis and the nodules come from that. But I went to my family doctor then to a Dermatologist
before showing them to my Rheumatologist. Never to early to be sure!

May 21, 2017
A myRAteam Member

I've had them my rem doc suggested for me not to touch them it makes them worst and tbat they come along with flare ups but go away soon as flare up does i get them on tbe knees mostly ..very painful indeed.

May 20, 2017

Related Questions

View All
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Cedar Lake, IN

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In