Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myRAteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Gainsborough, UK

Has anyone ever been on sulfasalazine? Recently been put on it after the methotrexate stopped working. Just wanted to know what people's opinions are?

October 11, 2016
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared mixed experiences with sulfasalazine after methotrexate stopped working, with some finding it helpful but often not enough on... Read more

Members shared mixed experiences with sulfasalazine after methotrexate stopped working, with some finding it helpful but often not enough on its own, leading doctors to add medications like Plaquenil, Enbrel, or biologics for better control. Several members described the confusion and frustration of having pain in joints that don't show damage on X-rays, needing clarity on flare patterns, and navigating insurance approvals or medical restrictions that limit treatment options. A recurring theme was the importance of staying active despite pain, advocating persistently with doctors when something isn't working, and finding hope in combination therapies even when individual medications fall short.

A myRAteam Member

I refused point blank to take the methotrexate because of the side effects and it causing harm to lungs and liver long term. Ive been on sulfasalazine and hydroxychloroquine for months now and it does absolutely nothing.. Speak to your rheumatologist as theres a new medication called biologics its an injection a week im waiting to get transferred onto that x

October 13, 2016
A myRAteam Member

I have been on sulfasalazine for years, also after methotrexate stopped working. I'm not sure if it's helping that much. I did try to go off of it once when I was feeling better and got worse so I won't do that again.

October 12, 2016
A myRAteam Member

Plaquenil did not help me to well either. My doctor took ex-rays of my shoulders, elbows,wrist,hands and feet. My doctor said the only damage was to my feet so far. I don't understand though my shoulders elbows.ect hurt a lot and that's what gets bad during flares. Can someone please help me understand. I was just diagnosed a couple months ago
.

October 11, 2016
A myRAteam Member

@A myRAteam Member I hope you are able to get onto a good biologic. I too was taking sulfasalazine and hydroxycholoroquine ( Plaquenil) for months and, while it did help some, it was definitely not enough. Finally my insurance approved Enbrel, which has helped a lot more. I am not pain free, but it has been a great addition. BTW, I was told to continue taking the other meds as well. I hope that you will be able to find some relief soon!

October 13, 2016
A myRAteam Member

Hi Nanna You may have other types of arthritis issues in other parts of your body. I have Osteoarthritis in my neck, shoulders and spine and it can be quite painful. The worse thing you can do if this is the case, is stop being active but, you should really ask your doctor what gives.

October 12, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Alakanuk, AK

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In