Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myRAteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Melbourne, AU

I have just started Arava for the third time. Last two times I had terrible nausea and cold sores pretty soon after starting and it was not compatible with study and/or work. This time around I have more flexibility (part-time study) and really want to focus on the 'long-game' of preserving my joints.

Already feel a bit nauseous and fatigued but not sure how much of this is in my head as I restart it with quite some trepidation?

What were others experiences with Arava? How long did it take… read more

October 1, 2016
 · 
Be the first to react
A myRAteam Member

I'm on a combo of MTX & Arava. I was experiencing too much brain fog & fatigue with MTX so reduced the dose & added Arava. Have to say this combo of meds is working for me - the Arava has had no side effects & it has reduced those that the MTX was giving me. Fingers crossed you settle & it works for you!

October 2, 2016
A myRAteam Member

So I was on a similar DMARD - they're the 'chemo' type drugs but in very low levels that scattergun your immune system - before. It was called methotrexate. Arava is meant to be the new gold standard of that class of drug.

I had great results with DMARD in high school. But as an adult living away from home with work, caring responsibilities, study etc I've tended to get too sick.

It's kind of a catch 22 between persistent medium level inflammation without these meds versus lower level inflammation but side effects interfering with everyday life almost as much as the RA with them.

But I want to preserve my joints long term so am giving them another go.

I think I need to get a sustainable medication regime and slow down my life generally. If I want to still have ankles in my 40s.

October 2, 2016 (edited)
A myRAteam Member

Hi Monikasar,
I've not had Arava and am happy to say have not (noticeably) experienced any side-effects from my meds. What I don't understand is if you have had bad reactions twice - why would your doctors try it again? There are many different meds available - different things work for different people.
Good luck - try to forget about it once you've taken it.
Janelise

October 2, 2016
A myRAteam Member

about three weeks it settled down on it now for three months and now running two miles hands are not sore my thumbs are so much better so far still some loose stools after an hour of taking it

April 28, 2022
A myRAteam Member

I just started the Leflunomide (Arava) and notice a difference already. My bad days have been so-so days now.

October 5, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Azusa, CA

A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Bardstown, KY

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In