Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myRAteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Marion, OH

Has anybody but me had a reaction to MTX? Since I have been put on MTX I cannot get rid of this cough, wheezing and shortness of breath? Anybody else experience this?? Am I crazy? Thanks!

November 26, 2015
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members confirmed that methotrexate can cause coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath, with several sharing that they experienced... Read more

Members confirmed that methotrexate can cause coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath, with several sharing that they experienced persistent coughs, some severe enough to cause gagging or even retinal detachment in one case, leading many to discontinue the medication. Several members emphasized the importance of reporting these symptoms to a rheumatologist immediately since lung problems are a known side effect of MTX, while others noted that RA itself can cause lung issues, making it important to distinguish between medication side effects and disease progression. A recurring theme was the difficult balance between managing RA symptoms and tolerating medication side effects, with one member noting they stopped MTX and Humira due to breathing issues but then faced increased joint pain and swelling.

A myRAteam Member

The symptoms that you are experiencing are considered side effects of the methotrexate and should be reported to your physician. When I started methotrexate I had a slight cough for several days but then it went away but if you have side effects that are persistent that is something that should be reported to your doctor

December 13, 2015
A myRAteam Member

Metho made me extremely sick!! I had to switch to shots....it got so bad I was pretty much home bound, as soon as I stopped it I immediately felt better

December 10, 2015
A myRAteam Member

I had horrible fatigue and was terribly sick to my stomached on both the oral and injectable MTX. I also lost a lot of hair. I no longer take it?

December 4, 2015
A myRAteam Member

I was on MTX for 20 years and got horrible mouth sores and a chronic cough. I've been off of it for over three years, but my cough won't go away. I recently had a really bad bout of coughing and tore one of my retinas so that it detached and I had to have surgery to re-attach it. Bad news! Good luck and I hope you can get your cough under control.

November 30, 2015
A myRAteam Member

One of the side effects of MTX is a chronic cough. I had to go off it because of the cough. I would cough so hard that I would actually gag (sorry for being graphic).

November 27, 2015

Related Questions

View All
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Washington, DC

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In