Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myRAteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭

My rheumatologist increased my dose of hydroxychloroquine a month ago. Three weeks after the increase I started having itchy skin. It was so bad that I had to use an ice pack to get any relief. It is worse if I take too long of a shower or towel dry. Even with Luke warm water
I've talked to my rheumatologist and a few days ago I gor the okay to stop taking it since I was through my flare
I understand that it will take several weeks for the itchiness to improve. I am wondering how long did the… read more

12 hours ago
 · 
Reactions
A myRAteam Member

Thank you.

30 mins ago
A myRAteam Member

I also experienced severe itching while taking hydroxychloroquine. I stopped it after discussing it with my rheumatologist, and I’ve been completely free of itching for the last two months. Hope you feel better soon

6 hours ago
myRAteam

That sounds really miserable — itching so intense you need an ice pack is no joke, and it makes complete sense that stopping hydroxychloroquine was the right call with your rheumatologist's guidance.

Other myRAteam members have shared similar experiences with RA medication-related itching. One member wrote that since their Show Full Answer

That sounds really miserable — itching so intense you need an ice pack is no joke, and it makes complete sense that stopping hydroxychloroquine was the right call with your rheumatologist's guidance.

Other myRAteam members have shared similar experiences with RA medication-related itching. One member wrote that since their first drug infusion, the itching was "unbearable," with hands and feet being the worst areas. Another had itching and a rash from their RA medication so severe it ended up on their allergy list.

While everyone's timeline is different, itching from a medication can linger for a few weeks after stopping as the drug clears your system. Staying consistent with any relief strategies your doctor recommends can help during that waiting period. Some things members have found helpful include:

- Cool or warm wet compresses on itchy areas
- Non-drowsy antihistamines like cetirizine (Zyrtec) or loratadine (Claritin) during the day
- Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) at night if itching disrupts sleep As for switching medications, both methotrexate and Humira (adalimumab) are well-established options for RA. Methotrexate is a DMARD that helps slow disease progression, while Humira is a biologic that targets specific parts of the immune system.

It's worth knowing that methotrexate can also cause itching as a side effect in some people, so that's something to flag with your rheumatologist when weighing your options.

Your rheumatologist knows your full history best, so leaning on them to help navigate which option suits your situation — especially given your steroid sensitivity — is really the most important next step.

12 hours ago

Related Questions

View All
Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In