Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myRAteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myRAteam Member asked a question πŸ’­
3 days ago
 · 
Reactions
myRAteam

Yes, RA can absolutely affect the neck β€” you're not alone in experiencing this. While RA is most commonly associated with the hands, wrists, and knees, it can impact almost any joint in the body, including those in the cervical spine (the neck area).

When RA attacks the neck joints, it causes inflammation that erodes Show Full Answer

Yes, RA can absolutely affect the neck β€” you're not alone in experiencing this. While RA is most commonly associated with the hands, wrists, and knees, it can impact almost any joint in the body, including those in the cervical spine (the neck area).

When RA attacks the neck joints, it causes inflammation that erodes cartilage and bone, and weakens the surrounding muscles, tendons, and ligaments. Common symptoms of RA in the neck can include:

- Dull, throbbing, or aching pain (often constant)
- Stiffness that makes it hard to turn your head side to side
- Swelling in the neck joints
- Pain that radiates into the shoulders
- Numbness, tingling, or weakness in the hands or feet

As one myRAteam member described it, "I feel as though something fell on my head and pushed it into my neck and shoulders. It hurts to turn my neck in any direction." The good news is there are several treatment options available, including:

- NSAIDs (like ibuprofen or naproxen) to reduce pain and inflammation
- DMARDs or biologics to slow disease progression
- Steroid injections or nerve blocks for flare-ups
- Physical therapy to improve strength, flexibility, and posture

It's important to talk to your rheumatologist if you're experiencing neck symptoms, as early treatment can help prevent further joint damage.

3 days ago
A myRAteam Member

Yes, it definitely affects thr neck and spine joints...neck/spine problems were significant enough that I needed and had a fusion on my neck in 2012.

2 days ago (edited)
A myRAteam Member

Thank you. I thought I was going nuts. I went yesterday for my checkup . I have been on rinvoq for 3 months now. I have seen some improvement but my neck , sacral area and ankles are in much pain. At night my neck is very painful. She last did an xr of my neck in 2022 and it was showing straightening and reversal curvature. She said then it was not due to RA .My neck pain has worsened significantly. Her response was use Flexeril , attend PT - RA does not affect the neck or spine. My cholesterol is now 326, because of rinvoq. She said talk to your primary at your November appointment about a statin and improve eating . I have been so good about eating lately and whatever movement I can when feeling able to push through. In the past month I have been experiencing neuropathy of my feet. On top of that they again did not get all my labs , they were able to get a lipid panel and TSH, but not the metabolic panel or cbc . Feeling like with a bit of improvement in the RA pain, frustration that if I continue rinvoq , a statin will be the first in a line of medications.
Thanks for allowing me to vent here πŸ˜”

2 days ago
A myRAteam Member

Tonya, hi there. You have problems with osteoarthritis in the neck and could be the entire spine. Neuropathy in your feet do you have diabetes? If you are able to take an anti-inflammatory like Meloxicam or Diclofenac it will help with osteoarthritis inflammation. I use a lot of Voltaren Gel the generic gel is the same Diclofenac. I also take a stronger anti-spasm medication Zaniflex and narcotics because my spine is extremely painful. I go to a pain management doctor here in Dallas. you may want to find one they can use steroid injections to the neck to take care of the inflammation from the arthritis. I have had them in my spine worked well. I also have had the nerves in my spine burned or ablated. Great relief from that.

1 day ago

Related Questions

View All
A myRAteam Member asked a question πŸ’­
Meade county ky

A myRAteam Member asked a question πŸ’­
Lillington, NC

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In