Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myRAteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Marcus, IA
4 days ago
 · 
Reactions
A myRAteam Member

I don't use a lot of skin cleaners on my skin due to it being sensitive because of the medication being taken (Methotrexate and Plaquenil) With that being said, I have found the best skin care item to help my skin have been Oil of Olay Birch Water as it works for sensitive skin, BioDerma with a reusable micro fiber cloth, and CeraVe Ultra Light Moisturing Gel.

The Oil of Olay Birch Water is something I can use as it works quite well on my sensitive skin without causing redness or a rash. BioDerma is something I have been using to help my skin rebuild the moisture after a difficult day. There are some times when I won't always use it because I have noticed my skin gets too dry. The CeraVe works quite well because of how nice it provides a moisture in my facial skin.

I have found my own routine using the above items I mentioned. I suggest finding the items that work best to help keep your facial care moving smooth. I will say there has been times when I will skip a day or two because I don't wear makeup anymore and I will just do the BioDerma then leave my pores relax for the rest of the evening so they can recharge with my having an herbal tea for the evening. That is what works for me but every person has a different evening routine.

As mentioned, we all need to find what works best for our skin by trial and error.

4 days ago
A myRAteam Member

I have Granuloma Annulare, I also get the antihistamine itch that leaves those reddish purple dots on my skin. I have all kinds of skin issues. Some are RA related some aren't.

4 days ago
myRAteam

RA can affect your skin in several ways, and it's more common than many people realize. Here's a rundown of the main skin issues linked to RA:

- Dry, pale, or thin skin – especially in people taking corticosteroid treatments
- Rheumatoid nodules – firm lumps under the skin, most common on the lower arm, affecting about 30% Show Full Answer

RA can affect your skin in several ways, and it's more common than many people realize. Here's a rundown of the main skin issues linked to RA:

- Dry, pale, or thin skin – especially in people taking corticosteroid treatments
- Rheumatoid nodules – firm lumps under the skin, most common on the lower arm, affecting about 30% of people with RA
- Itchy skin – can be caused by RA inflammation itself, particularly around swollen joints
- Hives (urticaria) – RA's inflammatory nature is linked to chronic hives
- Rashes – some members of myRAteam report rashes that move around the body and itch intensely
- Rheumatoid vasculitis – a more serious complication where blood vessel inflammation causes a purplish rash, skin ulcers, or numbness; this is considered an emergency and needs immediate attention from your rheumatologist RA medications can also be a culprit. Biologics, corticosteroids, and DMARDs like methotrexate have all been linked to skin-related side effects, including rashes, itching, and hair thinning.

One myRAteam member shared, "I had crazy itching and a pimply rash between my fingers from my RA medication. It's now on my allergy list."

If you notice any new or worsening skin symptoms, it's always worth flagging them with your rheumatologist — especially since some, like vasculitis, need prompt care.

4 days ago

Related Questions

View All
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Meade county ky

A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Richmond, KY

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In