Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myRAteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Portland, OR

Last night I talked to my dad and updated him on my RA and the new meds. My dad isnt much of a talker lol but when I told him how the last few weeks have gone he told me that my aunt his sister had been diagnosed with arthritis recently as she began to struggle with knee pain and joint pain. Evidentally it's bad enough for her to use a cane like I do and she is utilizing a parking permit because she has a hard time with walking. I knew arthritis was rampant genetically in the maternal side of… read more

February 28, 2024
 · 
Reactions
A myRAteam Member

I have asked many of my extended family members if ANY relatives have RA. No. Also, I'm male, a life long non smoker, non drinker and vegetarian. I have no idea where my RA came from. I'm no conspiracy theorist, but my RA symptoms became noticed about 9 Months to a year after getting my covid-19 vaccines. Also, I am a nurse of 36 years. I have seen a higher than expected number of RA suffers who had (have) careers in the health industry. The former seems to be my only risk factor for developing this horrendous affliction 🤍❤️.

February 28, 2024
COVID-19 and Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Essential Updates Read more >
myRAteam

Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is not considered an inherited disease in the traditional sense, but genetics do play a significant role in the risk of developing RA. Research has shown that people with specific genetic markers are much more likely to be diagnosed with RA than those in the general population. For example, having Show Full Answer

Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is not considered an inherited disease in the traditional sense, but genetics do play a significant role in the risk of developing RA. Research has shown that people with specific genetic markers are much more likely to be diagnosed with RA than those in the general population. For example, having certain mutations in the HLA-DRB1 gene increases the risk of developing RA. However, having these genetic markers does not guarantee that an individual will develop RA. The presence of a close relative with RA increases one's risk, with a 5 percent chance if you have a sibling with RA, and this risk increases to 15 percent if you have an identical twin with RA. This indicates that while genetics are a significant factor, they are not the sole determinant in developing RA.

February 28, 2024

Related Questions

View All
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Hobbs, NM

A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Pennsylvania Furnace, PA

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In