Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myRAteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Elizabethton, TN

My fingers look like they are going in 'different directions' and if you feel my fingers you can feel the different joints in the fingers.
Is there anything that I can do to stop it?

February 11, 2024
 · 
Reactions
myRAteam

Rheumatoid arthritis can lead to various deformities in the fingers, particularly affecting the small joints. Here are some specific deformities mentioned:

- **Boutonniere deformity**: The middle joint of a finger is bent and will not straighten, while the tip of the finger bends back
- **Swan-neck deformity**: The base Show Full Answer

Rheumatoid arthritis can lead to various deformities in the fingers, particularly affecting the small joints. Here are some specific deformities mentioned:

- **Boutonniere deformity**: The middle joint of a finger is bent and will not straighten, while the tip of the finger bends back.
- **Swan-neck deformity**: The base of the finger and the outermost finger joint bend inward, while the middle joint is straightened out.
- **Hitchhiker’s thumb**: The thumb knuckle flexes outward abnormally, while the outermost finger joint hyperextends, creating a Z shape.

These conditions can significantly affect the appearance and function of the fingers.

February 11, 2024
A myRAteam Member

Hello ph2 if that happening to your joints that means the medication 💊 stop working/ you need different medication or increase dose/or add on medication. See your rheumatologist soon to check your inflammation level.

February 11, 2024 (edited)
A myRAteam Member

if i am on drugs, and develop swan neck fingers, does that mean my meds arent enough and i am supposed to increase the poisen?

February 11, 2024
A myRAteam Member

Hi everyone I know what you mean. My pinky is curving inward both of them. My body is going to start changing it's going to do what it wants. The inflammation is really hard to control 😪
Prednisone helps but the affects are bad
I don't want to take it, but it's the only thing that helps, not much but I can tolerate the pain. I have been on prednisone for over 9 years. They took me off of it for 6 months and now I'm back on it go figure.
I'm hopping you all have a great evening

March 1, 2024
A myRAteam Member

Ph2 good question. I am looking for answers myself.

February 16, 2024

Related Questions

View All
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Los Angeles, CA

A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Toledo, OH

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In