Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myRAteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭

I’m on prednisone during a bit of a holding pattern while I wait to move into a biologic infusion.The rheumatologist started me off of 20 mg but has me gradually reducing the dose.( every week)Once I got to 15 mg I was physically back to the extraordinary pain I had had before. She doesn’t want to give me any more but I feel a bit like I’m being hung out to dry while I wait for the system to get me to the biologic. So just wondering how long have you been able to stay on prednisone.( I know… read more

November 26, 2022
 · 
Reactions
A myRAteam Member

Thanks Kate. And best of luck to you too

November 30, 2022
A myRAteam Member

Daily use of prednisone for years is what caused my osteoporosis. I have a compression fracture of the T-11. I am slowly tapering aiming for zero. At 6.5mg today. Lowest I’ve ever been and no flare! I’m now on Orencia. Need to get off prednisone for 4 Weeks in order to have surgery to repair hernia and reverse colonostomy. Cant be on prednisone for 4 weeks.
The prednisone will prevent the two ends from staying lined up correctly. Prednisone caused a hernia. hernias are common in obese prednisone patients. Prednisone caused huge weight gain Ive been on it daily since since 2014. I couldn’t decrease below 10mg or I’d flare. Bad Rheumy Dr said 10-15 mg was ok. That that was as good as it was going to get, wrong! Changed Drs and switched from Enbrel and tapering off. It’s ok to take prednisone to get thru painful flares but you must decrease and get off of it. Try to get off with 4-5 or weeks at the very longest. It’s a miracle drug for the pain of a flare. Keep calling your Dr asking for more and request a sedimentation test ESR will show how inflammed you are while waiting for infusion. Best of luck it sucks to be where you are! Kate

November 30, 2022 (edited)

Related Questions

View All
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Toledo, OH

A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Reno, NV

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In