Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myRAteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Buckhannon, WV

Looking for long car ride comfort items. Have any of you tried the heating pad or massage pad for the car? Plug or USB? Are they worth it? Do you bring other items? I'm finishing up a 13 hour car trip and feeling it. And yes, we've been stopping so I can stretch out. Thanks in advance!

July 8, 2017
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared creative strategies for managing long car rides with rheumatoid arthritis, with the most popular solutions being heated car... Read more

Members shared creative strategies for managing long car rides with rheumatoid arthritis, with the most popular solutions being heated car seats (which several members called a lifesaver), soft pillows for support in various positions, and stopping every two hours to stretch and walk around. Several members mentioned using pain medication, ice packs instead of heat (especially for those with back issues), rolling up blankets for lumbar or leg support, and limiting daily driving to six to nine hours with overnight hotel stays that include warm baths and adequate sleep. A recurring theme was the importance of self-awareness and flexibility, with members emphasizing that everyone's body responds differently to heat versus cold, and that sometimes the best option is simply letting someone else drive or choosing a different mode of travel altogether.

A myRAteam Member

Thanks all! I like to send out these questions to see if there's more I can do...I have a couple of things to try. Mostly just super happy to be out of the car! 14 hours of driving and riding was a long time to be in the car.

July 10, 2017
A myRAteam Member

Hi warriors just wondering if anyone has blurry vision? My eyes aren't sore just a little blurry?

July 9, 2017
A myRAteam Member

The heated seat works well. My husband know when we go long distances he has to stop more often for longer times. Traveling in a car is my last option for travel. But pillows and hotpads work very well.

August 3, 2017
A myRAteam Member

See a ophthalmology dr. Ra can affect eyes.

July 22, 2017
A myRAteam Member

I drove from California to Arkansas I took several breaks every day to stretch my hips and legs. I only drove Six hours a day. Takeing breaks to eat and short walks and always a good night sleep. I always get 8 hrs of sleep no matter what .l hotel warm bath and a sleeping pill.
Heat hurts me, 4 back surgeries in the early 90's. No heating pad for me,cold packs work for me.

July 22, 2017

Related Questions

View All
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Grand Rapids, MI

A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Alfred, ME

A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Buffalo, NY

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In