Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myRAteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Adelaide, ZA

I would like to visit an OT and undergo a thorough assessment. But, I am not sure whether it is worthwhile?

July 3, 2017
 · 
Reactions
A myRAteam Member

OT is supposed to evaluate your ability to do everyday chores such as dress and feed yourself and tolieting. If you need a " work around" they can suggest things for you to try. It's not a treatment per se, PT is the therapist that helps you strengthen muscles. Your doctor has to order each therapy ( that may vary by state ) and your insurance should pay for a set number of visits per year.

July 5, 2017
A myRAteam Member

If you have the money to pay for it, I think that any extra information is worthwhile. I guess the most important is to decide who you trust as your main caregiver and to bot get caught up on various advisors at once.

July 3, 2017
A myRAteam Member

@A myRAteam Member - you are right. My finger slipped from the "P" to the "O" and I didn't catch it! I meant PT. I have had OT for my hands, and (like most of us) I provide a LOT of OT-type work-arounds for my daily chores.

July 5, 2017
A myRAteam Member

Yes, they only help to get muscles

July 5, 2017
A myRAteam Member

I get OT off and on. It helps get my muscles stronger. I can continue the exercises myself for several months, but then they seem to stop working, and I go back. Stupid disease!

July 4, 2017

Related Questions

View All
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭

A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Cosby, TN

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In