Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myRAteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Ocean, NJ

I've been getting charley horses in my feet for several months now. They come and go a few times a day. I notice it happens when I put my socks on or they will come on just from moving my foot. It started shortly after I started to have a very bad flare and started treatment of methotrexate and prednisone. I forgot to tell my doctor so I was hoping to get some help on here. Thanks

July 5, 2016
 · 
Be the first to react

Answer Summary

Members strongly related to the experience of getting charley horses and muscle spasms in their feet, with many describing sudden cramping in... Read more

Members strongly related to the experience of getting charley horses and muscle spasms in their feet, with many describing sudden cramping in the arches, toes stiffening into painful positions, and spasms that come on when putting on socks or moving the feet. Several members shared strategies that have helped them find relief, including taking magnesium supplements nightly, ensuring adequate vitamin D levels, drinking tonic water for the quinine, using arch support wraps, stretching gently, and in some cases taking muscle relaxants like Zanaflex. A recurring theme was the frustration of these painful symptoms being dismissed or misunderstood by doctors before a proper RA diagnosis, with many members encouraging each other to keep advocating for themselves and sharing what works in managing this uncomfortable part of living with the disease.

A myRAteam Member

I get muscle spasms in my hands. It usually occurs when I do to much, hand sewing,etc. I have to change shoes constantly. flat, low heel, sneaker, vary them

July 6, 2016
A myRAteam Member

I also get it and in my ankles I'm not on prednisone mine happen when I've been doing to much walking or been on my feet along time, usually happens just has I'm starting to relax or go to bed rubbing and stretching makes it worse was told to drink tonic water but didn't work or I just ride it out x

July 6, 2016
A myRAteam Member

@A myRAteam Member so how many shoe sizes did your feet grow? I have been through it with medical problems for the last 14 years, on and off of different medications. I went cold turkey off of Cymbalta and I was so sick for a long time, I saw five doctors about how sick I was and not one of them knew it was from withdrawal. I hope you do well with the methotrexate. Keep me posted.

July 6, 2016
A myRAteam Member

Before being diagnosed with RA I started of with cramps in both feet that caused my feet to "stretch out" as if they were extensions of my legs .... after a couple of years my cramps grew to add my calves. There were/are times I felt like someone was scraping the marrow out of the bones in my lower legs with rusty spoon! After about 5 years the cramps moved to my forearms and wrists with the same "burning" sensations as my shins. Shortly after that my hands began to cramp with my thumbs and pinkies would pull together like a hoof ...... all this before I was diagnosed and doctors were either ignoring it completely or blaming it on something else! I spent the last 3-4 months weaning myself off of Lyrica and Methotrexate, though I managed to lose the Lyrica, as of last week I was told to double my current intake of Methotrexate because the cramps were coming back ..... some days I feel like a medical wonder and more than not a medical "blunder"!!

July 6, 2016
A myRAteam Member

I get swelling in my ankles, especially the right one. I've noticed that having arch support, in the form of a wrap has helped.

July 7, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A myRAteam Member asked a question 💭
Howell, NJ

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In